Another Ghostly Hangout?

Albert & Lavinia Austin House

308 North Pinckney Street
Austin House Floor Plan

Austin House Floor Plan

This two-and-one-half-story frame Queen Anne residence was built in 1901 for Albert E. Austin and his family. Austin moved to Madison from rural Hazel Green, Wisconsin to enter the employ of F.A. Gill’s shoe store, which Austin later owned and operated until 1915.  Austin died in 1925, and his widow converted her home into a two-unit residence in 1929. She lived in the house until 1940. In the late 1940’s an additional unit was built on the third floor. From about 1955 until 1979, when the building was vacated, it housed apartments and an office on the second floor. During these years, it was owned by a succession of investors.

Pinckney Street, Circa 1900

Pinckney Street, Circa 1900

Austin’s shoe store was located at 3 S. Pinckney, on the Capitol square (very near the Worser).

From an ad in the UW Wisconsin Yearbook, Class of 1907: The best of everything put in shoes you will find in A. E. Austin Co. They have the style, wear and comfort which is hard to find in all makes.

Source: Historic American Buildings Survey
Photo courtesy of the Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division.

Tags: